Review: How to Wish Upon a Star by Eli Easton

How to Wish Upon a Star (Howl at the Moon Book 3) - Eli Easton

**** 4 wish come true stars ****

Audio edition, narrator Matthew Shaw.

7 hours 42 minutes

Overall: 4

Performance: 5

Story: 5

I've loved the two previous books in this series immensely, #1 How to Howl as the Moon and #2 How to Walk Like a Man. Just look at those great covers! I like how the represent the story and setting in each book perfectly.

I've been waiting for this third one to come out in audio, since I can't really enjoy the books without the great narration from Shaw!

This story is about Jason Kunik, a scientist who's back in Mad Creek, the town where the series takes place, to research Quicken, the ability to shift from dog to man. Some are born with this ability, some get "the spark" later in life and get the ability, but no one really understand why. Hence Jason's wish to know more about it. He really is all-brain. His main focus has been studying things in his lab and microscope, so his social skills are rather lacking to say it mildly. He is a quicken, but has supressed his inner dog for a long time, since he has no time for such nonsense.

Milo (d'wwww, Milo!) is the complete opposite. He's affectionate, caring, and just plain joyful! He's a newly Quicken, and draws out Jason's protective side. They're perfect for each other, even though Jason can't see it since it's not under a microscope. Jason was a care dog at a hospice, but he wanted more, so much more, so he wished upon a star...

The main plot revolves around a virus that is spreading through the town, affecting only Quicken. It becomes a race against the clock to save them since the affected ones revert back to dog form and loose more and more of their human mental abilities, becoming more like an ordinary dog, and they can't shift back to human. Luckily Professor Jason can help (thank god this illness didn't strike in book 1 or 2, eh?).

The romance between Jason and Milo was so sweet. I would wish (upon a star) for more steam, though. I felt it was lacking. There was lots of cuddling, but not so much description of more intimate cuddles, or post-intimate cuddles. I wanted more of this for Jason and Milo. Especially since Jason is very curious about, well everything.

"I'll make coffee, and breakfast," Jason said with forced cheer. He moved his hand in front of his body to hide the tenting in his PJ bottoms.

"What's wrong?" Milo asked worriedly. "What is that?" He pointed at the very thing Jason was trying to cover.

The audio was a joy to listen to. Matthew Shaw has different voices for each character, and he does them well. He manages to make the sound ehm dog-y. Sorry, for the bad, but accurate description. If you've listened to the audio, you know what I'm talking about, and if you haven't you will know what I mean when you get there.

Recommended! The whole series!