Review: Hexbreaker

Hexbreaker - Jordan L. Hawk

**** 4,5 fur and feathers stars ****

Audio edition, narrator Tristan James.

8 Hours and 36 minutes.

Cicero’s smile was brilliant as the sun coming from behind a cloud. “I knew you couldn’t resist,” he purred.

“Of course not. Who could resist you?” Tom teased.

“No one with any sense.”

What a great world building! In the prequel The 13th Hex I got just a taste of it, but in this full novel I was fully submerged. As I said in my review of The 13th Hex, the worlds feels like a mix up of the universe of Harry Potter (magic, ministry of Magic, spells etc), THIRDS  series (shifters, and investigating paranormal crimes), and The Golden Compass  (the shifters being the witches's familiars). All with Jordan L Hawk's own touch, though. It didn't feel copied, just inspired by, and what great inspirations!

I loved the historical setting, and the language. It's a delight read dirty talk in polite English.

“Shall I suck you? Let you fuck my arse, while we make magic together?”

Cicero is the cat shifter, Familiar, briefly seen in the prequel, who works for the MWP - Metropolitan Witch Police, but who hasn't found himself a witch to bond with yet. Bonding is for life, and can only be broken by the death of one of the two, so it's not to be taken lightly. Familiar can also be force-bonded to a witch against their will. Familiar is highly sought after since they are the magical "battery" to the witch's magic.

Cicero was an awesome character. I loved his attitude, quick wit and kohl rimmed eyes.

He had olive skin and black hair, carefully oiled and brushed until not a single strand was out of place. Kohl outlined yellow-green eyes, making their brilliant color even more startling.

Also, his used of the word "darling" was just the icing on the character cake.

“I don’t read the newspapers,” Cicero said with a sniff. “Terrible for the skin. Wrinkles, darling.”

Cicero is partnered up, unwillingly at first, with the patrolman Thomas Halloran who in recognize at once to be his mate witch. Thomas is everything Cicero don't want, at first glance, but he sees what a great man Thomas really is as time goes by.

Thomas has a big dark secret in his past. He holds another secret too, which I won't spoil since it's not in the blurb, but I enjoyed it immensely, and it's very important for the plot in the book.

The bad guys in the story was great. There was real motivation behind their actions, even though they were, you know, bad ones. I liked the political climate Hawk painted with the humans, witches and familiars, and the tensions they made with each other. She made a solid background for the story, and plot. I'm impressed!

I listened to the audio, narrated by Tristan James. He did a great job. He did a posh, and flirty English accent for Cicero, and pretty good Irish accent for Tom.

Highly recommended!