Review: Daring Fate (Silver Tip Pack #1)

Daring Fate - Megan Erickson

*** 3,5 stars ***

This is Megan Erickson's new shifter series, Silver Tip Pack, book one Daring Fate.

It takes place in a dystopian near-ish future where all humans have been wiped out by a virus about a hundred years ago, leaving only three species: werewolves, Weres, and Noweres. Werewolves, are human shifters that has two forms, human and wolf. Weres have three forms, human, wolf, and a cross between the two, a huge man wolf standing on two feet. Noweres are Weres bitten by other Noweres who are contaminated with the deadly virus that killed off the humans, and mutates--- ... they're zombies. Zombie Weres, okay? No need for a complicated explanation. Don't get scratched or bitten, or you will become one very dead, but moving, ugly looking, mindless, and lethal Nowere yourself. They roam around in packs eating and turning those who are unfortunate enough to cross their path.

Reese is a werewolf who has been beaten, and left for dead by his old pack. His brother, Jude, seeks help from the Were pack. close by. They both gets thrown in a cell, and is brought before the pack's Alpha, Dare. Dare and Reese turns out to be True Mates. No one has known a mating between a Were and a werewolf before, since the packs have been mostly separated from each other. Reese isn't sure he can trust Dare to begin with, but he trusts the mate bond. Reese has a secret, though. His sister is still at his old pack. She is to be unwillingly mated with the leader. Reese wants to save her, but he is torn whether he should tell Dare or not, fearing an involvement of Dare and his pack can send the two packs into war with each other.

Overall I really liked this! The first 30 % was more or less Reese and Dare having hot, hot, hot mating sex. Then there was pack life to be learned up until 60-ish %. Then the drama and action started.

I wish Reese and Dare could have talked more. They assumed too much, or one of them flat out decided what were to happen without discussion, only to say something contradictory later. It was a bit too much back and forth, and miscommunication, or rather lack of communication.

I really liked the world building, especially with the three species including Noweres. Those were frightening! I do feel they were "under used" as a plot point, there were just a couple of brief (but scary scenes) with them, even though they were talked about a lot. But this is a shifter mate book firstly, not a zombie books. I'm just wishing for more zombie weres.

There were a lot of interesting side characters. G and Jude for one! I would love to read more about them.

I did like the end, and I'm looking forward to Dare's brother, Bay's story next!

So overall I enjoyed reading this, but I ended up not loving it as I thought I would. But I still recommend it, and I'm looking forward to the next book!